Steak & Kidney Pie With Creamed Mash Potatoes and Greens
- 450g/1lb braising or stewing steak, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 225g/8oz ox or lamb’s kidney, cored and cut into small chunks
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 450ml/16 fl oz. good, hot beef stock
- 200ml/7 fl oz.stout or brown ale
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 500g/1lb 2oz prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and brown the beef for 3-4 mins.
- Add the sliced onion and mushroom and cook for 4-5 mins until soft. Add the kidneys and cook for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour.
- Add the stock, stout and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Spoon the mixture into an ovenproof pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C/400°F. Roll out the pastry and cut out a circle, large enough to cover the dish. Dampen the edges of each dish with a little water and place the pastry lid on top of the filling.
- Trim off any excess pastry and lightly press the edges to seal. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden.
Best served with nice creamed mashed potato and either sautéed kale or fine beans for a crisp texture.