Breakfast in Bed
(An ideal treat for Mother’s Day)
A one-pan breakfast, easy to serve and easy to eat.
Ingredients – Serves 4
100g/3oz cooking chorizo, finely chopped
2 banana shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp sherry vinegar
300g/10½oz chunky passata
15g/½ oz kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
75g/2¾oz cooked cannellini beans (tinned is fine)
8 free-range eggs
4 sourdough bread slices (or nice crusty chunky bread)
olive oil, for drizzling
100g/3½oz Parma ham
20g/¾oz basil or wild garlic, finely chopped
handful freshly grated Parmesan
rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
a sprig of basil, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/ Gas 6.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add the chorizo. Once the chorizo has begun to colour and release its oil, add the shallot and garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry vinegar, then add the passata and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the kale, basil leaves and cannellini beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture between four large ovenproof ramekins and make a well in the middle of each. Crack 2 eggs into each well and bake for 10–12 minutes, or until the egg white is cooked but the yolk is still runny.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the bread with olive oil and chargrill on a preheated griddle pan, or grill. Fry the Parma ham in a frying pan on a medium-high heat, until crisp.
- Remove the eggs from the oven, season with salt and pepper and garnish with the basil and crispy Parma ham. Sprinkle over the Parmesan and serve.
- Best enjoyed with a glass of Bucks fizz!